Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Twenty Films in Five Days



I just recently returned from the 2007 Toronto International Film Festival in Canada. I basically averaged four films a day and saw a total of 20 films. By the third day I felt like I needed the Ludovico technique just to keep my eyes open. But I persevered, and fortunately was rewarded for my effort with several fine screenings.
I could tell you about the cab driver, Bobby, who picked us up at the airport and must have repeated the phrase, "I know my sports" twenty times. It was oddly impressive that he knew the name of Arkansas's baseball team, the Travelers. But I could neither repeat or corroborate most of his facts, as I am not a sports fan. Film is my mistress, that's why I was in Toronto. Not for hockey, or football, or anything else. I leave that to those better suited. I did realize that for me, Hell would certainly consist of a lot of one-sided conversations about sports.
Here are the films I saw, with a one-word review:
Control-stark
Lust, Caution-pelvic
Fugitive Pieces-engaging
No Country for Old Men-wonderful
Juno-funny
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford-boring
Starting Out in the Evening-wasteful
Reservation Road-bad
Eastern Promises-good
The Visitor-best
Encounters at the End of the World-penguins!
The Man from Plains-Carter!
It's a Free World-downer
Lars and the Real Girl-predictable
Sleuth-remake
Margot at the Wedding-wicked
Breakfast with Scot-Canadian
Le Scaphandre et le Papillon-powerful
Cassandra's Dream-Woody!
I'm Not There-Dylan!

While I was there, my friend Renee got to talk with Viggo Mortensen and David Cronenberg about their film, Eastern Promises. Here is that interview:


By the way, if you are ever in Toronto and need a taxi driver with a vast knowledge of sports trivia, be sure to give Bobby a call at 418-444-1827. That's his home number. He doesn't have a cell. But he knows his sports.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Viggo rules!

Sounds like a lot of great movies. I've heard good things about the Dylan and Joy Division movies...how were they?